There are a couple of things to consider in creating your own ritual at home :
- tools you need
- create your sacred space
- prepare yourself
- the ritual itself
- closing ceremony
What you need for your home ceremony
- Find a quiet corner – find a quiet place in your home where you are not being disturbed for the duration of your ritual. Make it nice and welcoming for yourself. It doesn’t have to be a lot of space, just enough to set a cushion, a little altar with meaningful objects, crystals and candles.
- Create a little altar – The altar gathers meaningful objects to you, anything that you know is relevant to have for your ceremony. A simple nice cloth, a candle, some crystals, anything meaningful to you, for example, a statue or a flower.
- Your Journal and coloured pens – to write down your reflections. I always like to use a simple journal and coloured pens to use for different ideas. I noticed that depending on how I feel or the subject I am writing of, I am drawn to different colours so I always like to have around a blue, green, purple, pink and a red pen.
- Music to relax – Music helps a lot in creating a sacred space and I find it very effective to induce deep relaxation and a sense of feeling good. It also helps to focus. I love choosing meditative and spiritual music for a wonderful experience.
- Smudging tools, a rattle – for energy cleansing. This is good to do at the beginning of your ritual to prepare the space and make yourself.
- A clear quartz crystal for manifestation
- Tea, cacao, hot chocolate to indulge your senses into meditation.
Create a sacred space
We talked about what you need for your ritual, but the first step before stepping into things is to create the sacred space.
Once you found your quiet corned and setup the room for yourself, there are a couple of things you can do to make the space really special and sacred:
- Diffuse warm lightning – a warm diffuse light in the room, enhanced by candles and fairy lights make a lovely atmosphere for your space. The darker the room, the better as when the light fades our intuition is easier to be perceived.
- Create a calming, grounding scent – to create a calming scent in your space you can use incence such as Frankincense or Sandalwood or if you like essential oils you can use an oil diffuser for a magical feel.
- Clear the space – this is a very important step that purifies the space from all previous energies, making it clean, neutral and receptive to whatever you want to call in. To clear the space you can smudge with sage, palo-santo, incense or you can use sound such as chinese bells, a drum, a singing bowl, a rattle. My favourite is using sage and a rattle.
- Play relaxing music – Music contributes a lot to your mood and nourishes your spirit. It fills the atmosphere with a sense of calm and facilitates the connectin with your inner world and the Universe.
Setup the altar – Place the cloth, a candle, a crystal, a meaningful object and your altar is ready. It does not have to be complicated, and I truly believe that less is more when it comes to our power to focus.
Prepare yourself for your ceremony
I always like to have my own ceremonies at home and nothing feels more meaningful thank preparing myself for my ‘me-time’. I like to wear nice clothes that make me feel good, have a shower before the ceremony and prepare myself mentally.
These are some ideas on how to prepare yourself for the ceremony/ ritual, of course you can do whatever feels good to you.
- Bath or shower – just before the ceremony, take care of your physical body, have a nice aromatherapy bath or shower and indulge yourself into relaxing scents. I love having a shower using a natural soap with relaxing essential oils such as Lavender.
- Wear comfortable nice clothes – that make you feel good while sitting on the cushion. I like those long sumptuous dresses to wear just for myself and feel like a goddess.
- Cleanse your own energy – by smudging with sage or palo-santo, or using a rattle around your body. This removes all external energies that you might carry from others and helps you to ground yourself and focus.
Meditate – to still your mind and bring the awareness within.
A simple ritual for New or Full Moon
Sit quietly in your sacred space and spend some moments in silence. You have your music on.
Take a couple of deep breaths, light the candles and an incense stick if you like.
Close your eyes and start drinking your cacao, tea, hot chocolate that you prepared for yourself.
Drink it slowly and mindfully, tasting carefully every sip, feeling the warmth of the cup in your palms, and the warmth of the liquid flowing through your body.
Allow the drink to be a vessel to your own heart and ask your heart to show you what do you need to acknowledge at this time.
Listen quietly. Feel. Know.
Then you may write on a piece of paper or your journal what insights you received.
Write as much or as little as you need.
Then stay quiet in meditation for a couple of minutes and allow yourself to receive.
When you feel ready, open your eyes and come back, your healing ceremony is now finished.